Archive for category News
Not if your scruples allow you to take advantage of the strategy. I’m sure some of these well trained American business school executive types would say- ”What the Hell? Why not”
What is *Completely Absurd* is a framework of laws that allows the situation in the first place. Don’t bitch that there’s a way for Corporations to let the government subsidize their workers if they pay them poorly enough, fix the rules that allow that to happen.
Get off your backside and tell your representatives-
I’m mad as Hell and I’m not going to take this any longer!
Here’s a link to a page with links that will help you in the process.
Five pieces of advise regarding current events and the NSA
1) Hide in the network. Implement hidden services. Use Tor to anonymize yourself. Yes, the NSA targets Tor users, but it’s work for them. The less obvious you are, the safer you are.
2) Encrypt your communications. Use TLS. Use IPsec. Again, while it’s true that the NSA targets encrypted connections – and it may have explicit exploits against these protocols – you’re much better protected than if you communicate in the clear.
3) Assume that while your computer can be compromised, it would take work and risk on the part of the NSA – so it probably isn’t. If you have something really important, use an air gap. Since I started working with the Snowden documents, I bought a new computer that has never been connected to the internet. If I want to transfer a file, I encrypt the file on the secure computer and walk it over to my internet computer, using a USB stick. To decrypt something, I reverse the process. This might not be bulletproof, but it’s pretty good.
4) Be suspicious of commercial encryption software, especially from large vendors. My guess is that most encryption products from large US companies have NSA-friendly back doors, and many foreign ones probably do as well. It’s prudent to assume that foreign products also have foreign-installed backdoors. Closed-source software is easier for the NSA to backdoor than open-source software. Systems relying on master secrets are vulnerable to the NSA, through either legal or more clandestine means.
5) Try to use public-domain encryption that has to be compatible with other implementations. For example, it’s harder for the NSA to backdoor TLS than BitLocker, because any vendor’s TLS has to be compatible with every other vendor’s TLS, while BitLocker only has to be compatible with itself, giving the NSA a lot more freedom to make changes. And because BitLocker is proprietary, it’s far less likely those changes will be discovered. Prefer symmetric cryptography over public-key cryptography. Prefer conventional discrete-log-based systems over elliptic-curve systems; the latter have constants that the NSA influences when they can.
From the Daily Beast-
“This was like a meeting of the Legion of Doom.”
“This was like a meeting of the Legion of Doom.” is something from a movie script. Not something Al Qaeda would do as current theory (much from the CIA) holds that they don’t behave like this. Having a conference call is how a marketing company would disseminate information to the middle managers. From Wikipedia-
When asked about the possibility of al-Qaeda’s connection to the July 7, 2005 London bombings in 2005, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said: “Al-Qaeda is not an organization. Al-Qaeda is a way of working… but this has the hallmark of that approach… al-Qaeda clearly has the ability to provide training… to provide expertise… and I think that is what has occurred here.” On August 13, 2005, however, The Independent newspaper, quoting police and MI5 investigations, reported that the July 7 bombers had acted independently of an al-Qaeda terror mastermind someplace abroad. What exactly al-Qaeda is, or was, remains in dispute. Author and journalist Adam Curtis argues that the idea of al-Qaeda as a formal organization is primarily an American invention.
“The suspect, based upon his actions, clearly is a good candidate for enemy combatant status. We do not want this suspect to remain silent,”
How about we look at the source of the problem- American foreign (Business) policy vs. the symptom- terrorism?
Posted by in News on February 2, 2013
- The Reed College website
- The Wikipedia page (Wikipedia cofounder Larry Sanger is a Reed alum)
- Here’s a list of people who have attended Reed (both graduates and not), Harlan will be in good company.
- What the Princeton Review says about Reed
- Here is a slightly dated virtual tour page
- Reed ranks first among U.S. liberal arts colleges in percentage of graduates going on to earn doctoral degrees and fourth among all institutions of higher education
- Admissions/Academic ratings*… Reed: 99/98 U.C. Berkeley 97/86
- Reed is reducing it’s carbon footprint by 2.65 million pounds
- The stakes are big, choose small, by John Kroger, President, Reed College
- The iPad goes back to school, by Dr. Martin Ringle, the chief technology officer at Reed
- Only 12 hours away
- Part of the parent tour was a wine & snacks meeting in the admissions office (shades of SCDS!)
- After touring Reed, both Liz & I wanted to go to school there
- Great Cuban food in the nearby neighborhood
*The Princeton Review- The Best 376 Colleges
R.I.P. Aaron Schwartz — Young, Dedicated, Courageous, Internet Pioneer, Free Speech Activist and a martyr to the cause.
Posted by in News on January 14, 2013
Aaron H. Swartz (November 8, 1986 – January 11, 2013) was an American computer programmer, writer, archivist, political organizer, andInternet activist.
Swartz was a member of the RSS-DEV Working Group that co-authored the “RSS 1.0″ specification of RSS, and built the Web site framework web.py and the architecture for the Open Library. He also built Infogami, a company that merged with Reddit in its early days, through which he became an equal owner of the merged company.[i] Swartz also focused on sociology, civic awareness and activism. In 2010 he was a member of the Harvard University Center for Ethics. He cofounded the online group Demand Progress (known for its campaign against SOPA) and later worked with US and international activist groups Rootstrikers and Avaaz.
On January 6, 2011, Swartz was arrested in connection with systematic downloading of academic journal articles from JSTOR, which became the subject of a federal investigation. Swartz opposed JSTOR’s practice of compensating publishers, rather than authors, out of the fees it charges for access to articles. Swartz contended that JSTOR’s fees limited access to academic work produced at American colleges and universities.
On January 11, 2013, Swartz was found dead in his Crown Heights, Brooklyn apartment, where he hanged himself. One commentator wrote that “His case highlights society’s uncertain, evolving view of how to treat people who break into computer systems and share data not to enrich themselves, but to make it available to others.”
** UPDATE **
By Wesley Yang, New York Magazine 09 February 13
** UPDATE **
Who was Aaron Swartz ?
Anonymous hacks M.I.T. in tribute to Aaron.
Meet U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz, one of President Obama’s mistakes.
Petition to remove United States District Attorney Carmen Ortiz from office for overreach in the case of Aaron Swartz.
10 Awful Crimes That Get You Less Prison Time Than What Aaron Swartz Faced for Freeing JSTOR Articles.
MIT did not speak out against the prosecution’s case, now they’re ‘investigating themselves’.
JSTOR did not want Aaron prosecuted. Here is their statement.
Sen. Minority Leader Mitch-the-Bitch McConnell reiterated his position this morning: Government will shutdown unless President makes dramatic cuts to Medicare and Social Security.
He wants the Democrats to not only enable the cuts, but also shield Republicans from the political consequences of cutting these programs by cutting them on the Republicans behalf.
Mitch-the-Bitch intendeds to hold the nation hostage to get cuts to programs
which have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEFICIT !!
Who in Hell does he think he is ?
The United States is different, all you need is money. If you have enough, you can do as you please.
In the past 48 hours, police in the U.K. and Germany have arrested senior bank executives for serious crimes. On Wednesday, Deutsche Bank offices were raided by 500 police because the CEO and CFO are under investigation for tax evasion.
Meanwhile in the U.S., the Justice Department signed a settlement with HSBC Bank on Tuesday, for its involvement in-
Providing support to terrorists.
HSBC Bank paid a trivial, half of one quarter’s profits and no executive will be criminally prosecuted.
Glen Greenwald does a heroic job covering the various layers of justice in America at this link.
Hell, the United States had a President, Vice President, Secretary of State, and Secretary of Defense all culpable of War Crimes and Eric Holder and the President looked ‘Forward’ instead of doing what should have been done.
What should we expect?